St michael and all angels church
In 1503 St Michael and All Angels Church was built, to serve the local community. Over the centuries, it has had many changes including a restoration in 1902 by Harbottle Reed. To this day Wembworthy church still holds services for all those who wish to attend.
A census in 1776 was made by the vicar of the parish which lists all the inhabitants. A small cottage at the time would be home to an average of four people, whereas a slightly larger farm house would be home to an average of seven or eight people (including servants and apprentices). A large manor house, such as Heywood house or Rashleigh Manor, would have on average five or six servants.
Another census was taken in 1831 shows the jobs of the men in Wembworthy at the time. It shows that 64% of the men were labourers or servants, 17% were middling sorts (meaning small farmers, masters of their trade, for example carpenters and blacksmiths) and the remaining 18% were employers or professionals.